Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Physical Therapy: Pittsburgh, 2008 and Mexico City, 2016

I was a spry 81 in Pittsburgh when a stupid accident led to an emergency operation on my stricken knee. I recovered completely from that, though it took some months to get back to normal. I was a considerably creakier 89, by then living in Mexico City, when I was again launched into physical therapy, some of it still ongoing. About today, see a brief account below. But first, the 2008 Post-Gazette oped.

First Person: The 11th floor: Back at home after rehab

Saturday, June 07, 2008

By Rudolph H. Weingartner

Some weeks ago, I walked out of my front door to go to the bank. Four houses up I caught the bottom of my foot on a piece of protruding sidewalk and fell hard on my left knee, smashing it pretty badly. That is how, a week later -- after a tricky operation from which I emerged with my left leg in a harness, ankle to groin -- I wound up in one of the beds of the Institute for Rehabilitation and Research on the 11th floor of Montefiore Hospital.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rudolph H. Weingartner is professor emeritus of philosophy at the University of Pittsburgh (rudywein@pitt.edu). His latest book is "A Sixty-Year Ride Through the World of Education" (Hamilton/Rowman & Littlefield).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Magic Mountain it wasn't; this was practical America, not an upscale Swiss sanatorium in the early years of the last century. But it nevertheless had something of the enclosed, self-sufficient characteristics of the establishment Thomas Mann described.

The point of the place, at least as I saw it from my supine perspective, is to bring people from their handicapped condition -- brought on by disease, an operation or a traumatic event, such as a stroke or an accident -- to a state that allows them to function at least semi-independently at home.

Such an enterprise cannot accomplish its tasks without having its workforce deployed in a systematic way. The need for order is heightened because the 11th floor is both a rehab establishment and a hospital. We inmates were both hospital patients and rehab clients.

The rooms are standard hospital rooms, including motorized beds. But they also sport a small bulletin board on which, each morning, the patient's schedule for the day is inscribed by a therapy aide wearing a white shirt or blouse. Indeed, the color or dress coding of the diversified personnel testifies both to the complexity and the orderliness of the people who attend to our needs.

The earliest to show up, maybe as soon as 5 a.m., were nurses' aides, in flowery blouses if women, or in some shade of blue if men, with "vital signs" the first order of business. Like everyone else, always friendly, it didn't take them long to determine blood pressure, temperature, pulse and oxygen level.

Often the physicians came next, even before breakfast, in long white smocks on which their names were embroidered. The nurse of the day, wearing some kind of light-colored clothing, came to put a fresh dressing on the stapled seam across my knee. Medicine was brought by nurse or aide, accompanied by a laser scanning of my wristband, by way of receipt.

The working day begins at 9, when I was wheeled (and later self-propelled) either to occupational therapy or to physical therapy. Aside from the fact that the occupational therapists wore green tops and light pants and the physical therapists wore blue tops, what is the difference between these two genres?

Indeed, when I first found out that I would go to occupational therapy, I was puzzled, since, long retired, I don't have an occupation. But what "OT" usefully means is activities everyone engages in at home.

There was just plain standing, on one foot, holding on to the walker. In that pose, I played checkers and other table games with other patients until I got too tired to stand. Though I'm not much of a cook at home, I went through the paces of making a grilled cheese sandwich, rummaging in the refrigerator and handling a frying pan.

There were also arm-strengthening exercises to compensate for compromised legs, and there were such useful experiments as determining how high a seat would have to be for me to be able to get up on it with the aid only of a walker. Our grandest experiment came when my OT therapist wheeled me to the front entrance of the hospital, where we found that I could indeed get into a car.

Physical therapy was more strenuous. Leg exercises, of course, and walks with the walker. At first that meant hopping on one leg, but later I was given permission to put down half my body-weight. When I asked the surgeon how I could gauge that amount, he referred me to physical therapy.

And rightly so. Some clever inventor has devised a gadget that sent a signal from a special shoe on my left foot to a small receiver that had been set at 90 pounds. Whenever my left foot touched the ground, an LED signal showed the number of pounds and a beep would sound censoriously if I exceeded the permitted weight. I practiced a good deal with that gadget, so as to get a feel for what was and was not allowed.

A poignant indication that I was in a hospital consisted of signs everywhere urging hand washing, as well as much-used dispensers of Purell disinfectant. If its stock is doing well, the product likely is performing the imperative service of fending off infections.

I'm less convinced that the widespread production of certain tools, such as the snips that removed my staples, which were declared single-use in six languages, are much more than opportunistic money-making. Better multiple-use tools have been available all these years; they need only to be consigned to an autoclave after each use. It has always been such.

I benefited greatly from my stint on the 11th floor of Montefiore, a complex and smoothly operating little magic mountain. I am certainly doing much better at home for having been there. Now I am waiting to get the harness off my leg so as to take my first hot shower since forever.

First published on June 7, 2008 at 12:00 am
* * * * * * * * 

Physical Therapy, Mexico City, 2016
   I have been visited two or three times a week by two therapists, using very different techniques to combat very different ailments. The first of these is wholly voluntary. I have had "knee problems" for quite some time evidenced by the fact that I need the help of pushing hands to get up from a chair. Moreover, my balance, just walking, has gotten quite wobbly, especially given the botched operation on my left foot. I've had a couple of falls and am anxious to avoid additional ones. Marcela, the daughter of a physician specializing in what I call Ancients, whom I've been seeing recently, has me do a great variety of exercises to combat my lassitude. Marcela chats non-stop in very good English during the entire time we are together. It's helping, I think, though progress is hard to measure.
  My second therapist's name is Gabriela and she was sent by another physician; her job is to help alleviate a sharp pain on my back--said to be a muscle and perhaps caused by a fall. Gabriela, more high tech but with less English, works vigorously on my back with her electronic tools plus a massage. Finally--I wish it were the end!--I've had a series of injections to tame my back. All this has only yielded modest success in relieving the pain--not amusing. It's there as I write this. 
   For just about everything that's wrong with me, I blame my age, if only because that account doesn't require me to do something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment