Thursday, July 19, 2018

Germany in World War II

Ordinary German Lives During World War II

   When I returned to Heidelberg after graduating from college I had a brief conversation with a fairly young man staying in the same hotel. When he found out that I had left Germany early in 1939, he said that I was lucky not to have been in Germany during the subsequent period of war. I said nothing but thought it was nervy of him to make that comment, since it was German anti-Semitism that had us emigrate.

   I still think that, but what I have been reading makes it utterly clear that we were lucky to have been out of Germany during that war. The book is Broken Lives: How Ordinary Germans Experienced the Twentieth Century by Konrad H. Jarausch. While it went well for a period, the war subsequently imposed a great deal of suffering on those ordinary Germans. Not surprising, given a long stretch of time that Germany continued the war after it was assured that they would lose it.

No comments:

Post a Comment